Join us on Saturday, December 13 from 3-7pm at Phoenix Plaza as we Ignite Hope for the patients who are hospitalized during the holidays. The 3rd Annual Ignite Hope candlelight walk, Presented by Albertsons, promises to be an inspirational event for the whole family. The 1.7-mile walk to the Hospital begins at Phoenix Plaza (Central and Thomas) with a family-friendly event that includes superheroes, face painting, refreshments and visits with Santa Claus. As walkers arrive in front of the Hospital, Phoenix Children’s patients will hold candles in their windows to welcome them. Following a short program and holiday carols with patients and special guests, the Phoenix Children’s Christmas tree will be lit. At the conclusion of the event, walkers will return to Phoenix Plaza either on foot or via a free shuttle. Participants are invited to bring a new, unwrapped toy to put under the tree for Phoenix Children’s Hospital patients.
Ignite Hope began informally in 2011, as a 15-year-old cancer patient’s friends held a candlelight vigil outside her Hospital window and ended up giving hope to not only their friend, but other patients looking out their windows as well. Now each year thousands of people from across the Valley come together to show their support for our patients during a very difficult time. We hope you will walk, raise pledges, make a donation or create a team for this family-friendly holiday event that will leave you as inspired as our patients.
Event Day Logistics
- Date: Saturday, December 13, 2014 (Rain or Shine!)
- Time: 3:00pm – 5:00pm Registration at the Phoenix Plaza
- Walk Start: 5:30pm
- Event Progam: 6:30pm – 7:00pm at Phoenix Children’s Hospital
- Return to The Phoenix Plaza: 7:00
Starting Point: The Phoenix Plaza, located at 2929 North Central Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85012
- Registration starts at 3:00 pm at The Phoenix Plaza
- 11-story parking garage located on Catalina Drive (1 block north of Thomas Road)
- Parking is free
- Light Rail also stops on the corner of Thomas Road and Central Avenue
- There will be 10 Registration Tables
- PCH Security will be on site
- Vendors handing out free samples
- Port-a-johns will be on site
Walkers will receive:
- A battery operated candle
- Light snacks and water will be available for free at The Phoenix Plaza prior to the start of the walk. Food is not allowed on hospital grounds.
Walk 1.7 miles to: Phoenix Children’s Hospital, located at 1919 E. Thomas Road, Phoenix, AZ 85016
- Walkers will line-up with the Grand Marshall for the 1.7 mile walk to PCH
- Walk route will be down the south side of Thomas Road
Event at Phoenix Children’s Hospital from 6:30 – 7:00pm:
- Participants will walk east on Thomas Road, continue past Children’s Way and walk into the front Administrative Parking Lot of PCH.
- The Administrative Parking Lot of PCH will have a stage, 3 inflatable video screens, and 10 porta-johns
- Special guests and entertainment will take place on-site at the hospital campus
Walk 1.7 miles back to: The Phoenix Plaza, located at 2929 North Central Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85012
- Walkers can return to the plaza by foot using the same route – South side of Thomas Road OR take a free shuttle back
- Shuttles will be parked in the empty lot across from Phoenix Children’s Hospital on Cambridge Avenue
- Security will be on-site at the parking garage