During the holiday season, GivingTuesday—the global generosity movement—inspires over 30 million people to come together for 24 hours of giving to address some of the world’s most pressing challenges. On the Tuesday following Thanksgiving every year, people can bring about positive changes in their communities through charitable donations to their favorite participating nonprofit organizations—like Phoenix Children’s.
Not to mention, those who give receive a tax benefit for a worthy investment.
Here’s how it works, and how you can become a face of hope to all our young warriors facing the toughest battles of their lives at Phoenix Children’s.
GivingTuesday inspires generosity
GivingTuesday was created in 2012, and the global movement continues to grow every year. In 2021, an estimated 35 million adults participated, an increase of 6% from 2020. The day also raised an estimated $2.7 million—a 9% increase from the previous year.
Whether it’s making someone smile, helping a stranger or neighbor, rounding up change at the register for a cause or making a direct donation to an organization, every act of generosity counts this holiday season.
For Phoenix Children’s, this spirit of giving is essential to our patients and families. For instance, our Phoenix Children’s community gave more than half a million dollars on GivingTuesday in the past three years to ensure children in Arizona and beyond continue receiving world-class care.
GivingTuesday unleashes charitable giving power
Every day, children facing life-threatening illnesses and injuries come to Phoenix Children’s seeking hope and healing. Whether they’re battling cancer, heart defects or traumatic brain injuries, these children urgently need lifesaving care close to home.
It costs $2.66 million per day to operate Phoenix Children’s. All patients are accepted, regardless of ability to pay, and about 51% of patient families have little or no private medical insurance. Phoenix Children’s relies on the support of generous donors to ensure that every child has access to the best health care—regardless of their family’s financial situation.
There are 70+ Phoenix Children’s programs and services funded entirely or partially by philanthropy, including:
- 1 Darn Cool School helps patients keep up with their schoolwork during hospital stays.
- The Animal-Assisted Therapy program promotes healing through interactions with therapy animals that help reduce patients’ stress and pain and provide comfort to them and their families.
- The Child Life Zone is a state-of-the-art play area that provides an escape from daily life in the hospital for patients and their families.
- The Emily Center Family Health Library is the most comprehensive pediatric health library in the Southwest. It is open to the public, with information about child health, illness and injury available in English and Spanish.
- The Homeless Youth Outreach program provides comprehensive health care to children and young adults experiencing homelessness.
- Injury prevention programs reach parents and children with important safety messages and skills, providing information about topics like water safety, bicycle safety, fire safety and child abuse prevention.
- The Therapeutic Arts program provides patients with safe spaces for coping and healing through therapy in the arts.
The best part about GivingTuesday is, you can donate to your cause of choice. You can choose to support our Hope Fund, which is essential to the hospital’s most pressing needs. You can also donate to one of our award-winning centers like the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders.
There are so many ways to give hope and healing to our patients and families—including sending a simple thank you to one of our talented health care providers.
And the best part? You can receive a dollar-for-dollar credit on your investment through the Arizona Charitable Tax credit—up to $421 if filing an individual tax return or $841 if filing a joint return.
Be the face of hope this GivingTuesday
GivingTuesday takes place on November 29. This is your opportunity to join the cause to improve kids’ health today and in the future.
Now that you know the giving power of GivingTuesday, we hope you will feel inspired to become part of the movement. Tune in to 12News Arizona Midday and ABC15 throughout the day to hear inspiring stories from some of our resilient patients and their families—as well as leaders and game changers at Phoenix Children’s.
These patients are the faces of hope, resilience and strength—even though they didn’t ask to be. Then, join us on the global day of giving to make a difference in their lives—because time is of the essence.
Give hope and healing to patients and their families, and receive your dollar-for-dollar tax credit.
More Ways to Give
Whether you lace up your sneakers for the PCH5K, hold a fundraiser for your birthday or start a corporate giving program at your company, there are many ways to support Phoenix Children’s.